Featured Post

Monday, September 20, 2021

The Wisdom of a Child


 "I'm happy again now, Grandma," my littlest granddaughter assured me as she came back to the garden. "Nate told me that whenever I get upset and want to get mad, I should go up to my room until I calm down." She gave me a little smile and then said, "I'm going to pray now." And that's exactly what she proceeded to do.

The three of us had been working together, her mommy and I, frantic to get the garden weeded before putting the house up for sale, and Maddie using her shiny new shovel that I had given her, trying to help. But Maddie is more of a leader, than a follower. She is always trying to direct the project in progress, and that day was no exception. It turned into a confrontation, and Maddie's ire was rising. Suddenly she stopped and said, "I've got to go up to my room."

Her mom and I continued working for a while, and then she reappeared. She prayed a sweet, earnest prayer and then told us that we all should pray together now. This time we were quite willing to follow her direction, and we had our own little prayer meeting right there in the garden.

Later, she told me that Jesus was in her heart and that someday she was going to go to Heaven. I believe her. Her child like faith is growing, and her wisdom, some of which has been gleaned from her older brother, is helping her to be an overcomer.

Maddie is only four years old, and some may say she is too young to understand, but I can remember when I was only four and God started dealing with me. I started my Christian walk at the same age Maddie is now.

I pray that she will never loose that childlike faith.

For more stories about Maddie, see: Leaving it behind.

For the previous post, see: Unreasonable Anger



No comments:

Post a Comment